Everybody has their own style, tastes, and needs. The same applies to designing e-mail list opt-in forms to convert visitors into leads. It helps to have examples to refer to when working on a creative project. This is why Idea Books exist. I’ve wanted to create a list of choices for the elements which make up an email opt-in form, so here is a sample of what I have in mind. The layout and the order of elements can be re-arranged, but essentially all opt-in forms share these common elements:
1. A title or logo that establishes clear branding
2. A list of incentives or reasons why the visitor should want to opt-in
3. As few form fields as possible; e-mail, first name, last name.
4. A Call-to-Action on the Submit button
6. A form completion message or a page that the subscriber is redirected to.
7. Two or three colors that either match the color scheme of the website or theme of the
Opt-in Form Titles
- I’ve learned how to get hours of my life back
- Join the Club
- Be the First to Know
- Become an E-commerce Expert
- Get the Latest Customer Service & E-commerce Tips
- Upgrade your PPC and CRO Knowledge
- Get the Inside Scoop
- Keep Up With It All
Opt-in Form Reasons to Join
- Instant Savings! Check your e-mail.
- Exclusive Discounts
- Access to information on our newest products, new releases, newest arrivals
- Invitations to Special Events
- Be the first to know the latest news
- Get Expert Advice Straight to Your Inbox
- Learn how to ___ so you can spend more time doing what really matters
- Enjoy 15% Off Your Order
- Subscribe and Save 25%
- Get On Our List and Get 15% Off
- From Promotions to Latest Releases direct to your Inbox
Most Common Opt-in Form Fields
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Website URL
Call-to-Action Phrases for Opt-in Form Submit Buttons
- Sign Me Up
- Subscribe Now
- Join Now
- I’m In!
- Let’s Make it Happen!
- Let’s Go!
- Sign Up
- Keep Me in the Loop
- Keep Me Posted
- Join the List
- Get Started
- Start Now
- Discover More
- Try it Free
- Find out More
- Sign Up & Save
- Get My Free Download
Opt-in Form Footer Text for Reassurance
- We won’t share your email with anyone
- We guarantee 100% privacy. Your information will not be shared.
- By entering your email you are subscribing to receive emails from [company name]. Offer is valid on full price, first purchase only and is not valid on sale items or gift cards. Offer is not transferrable. Not retroactive and non-refundable.
- You can unsubscribe anytime.
Hopefully, you were able to find inspiration from some of these suggestions. It should be obvious that more is required of a successful popup form than just having good design and proven form elements pasted into place. The campaign will still need solid written copy and an attractive offer. Putting all of these pieces together should have an impact on how well your opt-in converts. With the number of variables available, opt-in forms should be treated like any other marketing campaign with an established baseline, A/B testing, goals and defined measurement methods in place to be able to identify what works best.